"Americans used to say where there's a will, there's a way. Nowadays, it's where there's a pill, there's a way out." - - Burnt Toast

Big Gun. . .

I'll be the first one to admit that I am not much of a Civil War historian and I'll leave the discussions of the reasoning why, results and aftermath to those who care to argue amongst themselves in futility.

Personally, I think it's a very dark and disturbing chapter of America's history and if we could only turn back the clock. . .

When I come to Vicksburg I am intrigued by the history and the relics of the era. Like the giant cannon below. This thing is gigantic, nearly five feet high at the "cascabel" or the little knob-like protrusion from the rear of the barrel. I cannot even imagine having to move this thing around either by horse or man. I've hiked the hills, hollows, valleys and gullies of the terrain that makes up the Loess bluffs from Vicksburg to Natchez. There are some serious grade differences and I simply cannot fathom how they moved this thing around.




And it must have been something to touch this mother off too. In this spirit of giving, I'm certain it was better to give than receive.

There is an antebellum home in Vicksburg named Cedar Grove which bears the scars of war to this day in the form of a cannonball still lodged in a wall of the home.

The poor fellows outlined in this historical marker did not fare well either, leaving me with the bitter truth that war is truly hell.

Greasywrench AKA rich b  – (Wednesday, April 16, 2008 at 2:49:00 AM CST)  

If there's one part of U.S. History that fascinates me it's the Civil War. Did you ever have a chance to catch the PBS series that's been ran several times in the last fifteen years?

I probably learned more listening to the comments of Shelby Foote then from all the history classes I've ever taken in school.

There you are Toast, living around or near some of the great battlefields in American History. I envy you. If had have had the resources and drive when I was a young man I would have loved being a history teacher.

Post a Comment

Picture

Picture
Herbs!

About This Blog

StatCounter

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP