"Americans used to say where there's a will, there's a way. Nowadays, it's where there's a pill, there's a way out." - - Burnt Toast

Bonus Sunday Recipe. . .

Since I'm feeling generous today, I will share with you my favorite bean recipe that is surely to leave you in a gas! Also, this will allow you to work with your new friend, chicken stock.


21 Bean Salute

1 pound of navy beans, soaked overnight
1 medium yellow onion, medium dice
1 carrot, sliced
1/3 each of red, green and yellow bell peppers, medium dice
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1-12 ounce can of stewed tomatoes
1/2 Tbsp. Hungarian Paprika
1/2 Tbsp. Chili Powder
chicken stock
thyme, sage and rosemary, minced
salt and pepper, to taste
olive oil

Saute the onion, carrot and bell pepper over medium high heat in olive oil until you get bored or about 8 minutes, whichever comes first. Add the garlic and saute for two more minutes. Add beans, tomatoes(juice included), paprika, chili powder and chicken stock. Simmer until beans are tender, about two hours. Add freshly minced herbs and salt and pepper to taste.

And for a really creamy experience and we all love those, puree about 1 cup of the bean mixture in a blender and add this back to the pot. Just divine!

A note about salting beans. If you desire tender little bursts of bean flavor, save the salt until the beans are thoroughly cooked. Some studies have shown that salting the beans at the beginning of the cooking process will toughen the skin of the bean. And through my own studies of beanology, I find this to be true.

So be nice to your beans, salt them at the end, let them soak for about 30 minutes longer and you'll have delicious bean love every time!


Grill to medium rare two flat iron steaks (which is actually top blade from the chuck of a steer) and some zuchini, whip up some rice to serve with your beans(rice and beans make a complete protein) and you've got a grand meal!

Stick around here long enough and I'll learn you something good!

Greasywrench AKA rich b  – (Thursday, April 24, 2008 at 1:44:00 PM CST)  

The bean recipe looks great. I'm gonna try it as soon as I get over the nasty cold that's killing me right now. I had a recipe kind of like the one you posted that I used to do only I added a couple of smoked pork hocks to the party. Served it with cornbread. Real good.

Burnt Toast  – (Sunday, April 27, 2008 at 3:12:00 PM CST)  

I usually toss some sort of pork product in there. Hocks, bacon, leftover breakfast sausage, doesn't mater. However, my girth is advancing nearly as quickly as my age, therefore, I'm trying to use a little less of that in my cooking.

Another little tip. I don't know if you ever smoke any meats, but you can take the bones from a whole smoked chicken, make the stock out of that and use it for the beans or most anything else for that matter. You'll have something really special. The smokiness of the bones transfers extremely well into the finished product.

Hope you get to feeling better Greasy. Might be time to practice that chicken stock recipe, don't you think?

Post a Comment

Picture

Picture
Herbs!

About This Blog

StatCounter

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP