"Americans used to say where there's a will, there's a way. Nowadays, it's where there's a pill, there's a way out." - - Burnt Toast

One Day Closer. . .

The long holiday weekend is nearly upon us and I, like many, think that it will not arrive soon enough.

I have plans to stay with friends at Wolf Lake, drink beer, shoot guns, fish, maybe an impromptu jam session. . .hey, wait a second?? I did that this past weekend, didn't I?

What? Oh, I'm doing it again this weekend too?

Hhmmph. Ooookay, I'll take your word for it. Wait, who the hell is talking to me?

Me? What? I'm talking to myself?

Get outta here, you're ruining this post!

Who? Me?

No. You!

Me?

You.

Whatever.

Shut up.

Anyway, I'm not sure how much posting I'll be doing over the holiday, so I'd just like to wish everyone a safe, happy, fun and relaxing weekend. And I shall remind you to at least think once about what this weekend means. Independence.

Millions of people the world over have died in our quest for the survival of the Independence we so take for granted. Some fought with us, some fought against us, sometimes we fought for the right of others to live free and we reap, unapologetically, the victory.

Recently though, it seems we've lost our way as Americans, misguided by our leaders and sadly, by our own hearts. Our divisions as a country have grown deeper, ripping us apart at the seams of our own human fabric. This weekend, I suggest you look for that lost unity we once had. Find it in your family, wear it on your sleeve with your friends and let's be proud again. I believe we have no alternative.

I'll close this out with some powerful lyrics from a portion of a song epic by Rush that is virtually unknown:

We can walk our road together
If our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free
If we pursue a different aim
Let the truth of love be lighted
Let the love of truth shine clear
Sensibility
Armed with sense and liberty
With the heart and mind united
In a single perfect sphere.

From Hemispheres, 1978

Cudi Bug  – (Monday, July 7, 2008 at 12:23:00 PM CST)  

Hey, what fun we had discovering our Independence.....I wore my flag shirt proudly and diplayed Old Glory, and others......
As soon as I leave work today, I'm having a shot of Jagger in your honor.....bug

Post a Comment

Picture

Picture
Herbs!

About This Blog

StatCounter

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP