"Americans used to say where there's a will, there's a way. Nowadays, it's where there's a pill, there's a way out." - - Burnt Toast

A Quick Recipe. . .

This weekend I cooked some chicken.

Why?

Well, because I had a freezer full of leg and thigh sections and I needed to make room for my bottle of Jagermeister and I knew that my folks with the Ubon's BBQ team needed some telepathic spirituality as they competed up in Whiskeyville at the Jack Daniel's World Championship Invitational. I'm working on getting the results as we speak, from the piggie's mouth of course.

Anyway, I had some chicken and I didn't want to put the full-on, kung-fu barbeque sauce on the bird, so I went with a lighter glaze instead. Here is the recipe for 8 leg/thigh pieces:

1 cup kectup, (Hunt's, not Heinz)
1/2 cup white rum (thankfully Beatrice isn't a lush like me and left me half a bottle)
1/2 cup lime juice (leftover from key lime pie recipe)
1/2 cup Mississippi clover honey
1/4 cup olive oil
1 red onion, coarsely chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. ground chipotle pepper
2 Tbsp. Hungarian paprika
1 Tbsp. medium heat curry powder
salt and pepper, to taste

Mix all ingredients well, except for ketchup and add to chicken. Marinate for as long as you like, but at least 6 hours. Fire up your grill and have your mesquite chunks handy for some good smoke. Drain the marinade from the chicken well and reserve and as the chicken cooks, whisk in the ketchup into the marinade. Be careful with the fire. The marinade has plenty of sugar and will burn easily. Use medium indirect heat or medium-low direct heat if grill space is an issue.

When the chicken is about half-cooked, about 30 minutes or so, begin basting with the reserved marinade. The fire should be low enough that flare-ups shouldn't be an issue. Continue basting every so often until you are out of juice and in about 30 more minutes, you should be removing beautifully grilled, smoked and glazed chicken.

Serve with some homemade mac and cheese, black eyed peas and cornbread. Double yum!

Sorry that there is no picture, I think the Jagermeister had something to do with that. So instead, I'll provide you with a picture illustrating what life with Barack Obama as president will look like:


Empty.

Anonymous –   – (Tuesday, October 28, 2008 at 5:08:00 AM CST)  

i had some ribs over the weekend in which the chef used a similar sauce... but instead of the rum, crown royal was utilized-mmmmm!!!!

Post a Comment

Picture

Picture
Herbs!

About This Blog

StatCounter

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP