"Americans used to say where there's a will, there's a way. Nowadays, it's where there's a pill, there's a way out." - - Burnt Toast

"Mother of God, There I am!"

The quote above is Raoul Duke upon seeing himself during the Jefferson Airplane hallucination scene in Fear and Loathing is Las Vegas.

I was standing in a convenience store yesterday morning, numbed to my surroundings and contemplating the many weaknesses of my personality, and waiting to purchase a Naked Juice Protein Smoothie which I knew was going to taste like sandpaper (it did), when I picked up the local paper.  Ah interesting, an article about the recent expansion at the University of Mississippi Medical Center.   Mmmhmm, very interesting, nice landscape photo of a construction site.  Excellent photographic composition, nice exposure for a high sun.

Wait a minute!  That's my job!  Wait a minute!  That's my truck!  Well, I'll be dog.

I shared my great finding with Beatrice, who was severely unimpressed.  And I can understand, it's not like I saved children from a burning building or created a new method of modifying genetic vaccines.  I was simply parked in front of a camera on a jobsite on my lunch break.  Sigh. . .

But then.........

...........later,

I opened the paper and below the fold was another photo, which showed me and the piling contractor's wife standing beside the drilling rig.  I'll admit you can't really see me all that well because I am slightly behind her, but you know, at least it wasn't a picture of my face holding a small sign below it with my name and birth date on it and a headline proclaiming, "Armed and Dangerous" or "Pervert on the Loose" or something likewise.

Ok, my fifteen milliseconds of fame are over.  I casually resume my anonymity with glee.

Post a Comment

Picture

Picture
Herbs!

About This Blog

StatCounter

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP