"Americans used to say where there's a will, there's a way. Nowadays, it's where there's a pill, there's a way out." - - Burnt Toast

Innovation!

Last week or maybe it was this week, I wrote about the glories of cornbread and purple hull peas.  It remains one of my favorite Southern traditions and I can eat several helpings of both with a bottle of hot sauce, preferably Chipotle Tabasco or Trappey's Red Bull, until I am a bloated old goat.

My dear friend and reader Jenny sent me an email a couple of days ago and suggested that while cornbread and peas eaten together is a fantastic and satisfying meal, why not put the peas in the cornbread?  Well hell I say, why didn't I think of that??

Here is her recipe, with lots of other tasty stuff cooked inside the perennial peasant food of the South.

Purple Hull Pea Cornbread


1 lb. bulk pork sausage (use the HOT sausage for some heat!)
1 onion, chopped
1 cup white cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 4-oz. can chopped green chilies, drained
3/4 cup cream-style corn
2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
2 cups purple hull peas, cooked

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease a 13-by-9-by-2 inch pan.

Cook sausage and onion in large skillet until sausage is browned. Drain and set aside.

Combine cornmeal, flour, salt, and soda in large bowl.

In another bowl, beat eggs, buttermilk, and oil together. Combine with dry ingredients using a few quick strokes (batter does not need to be blended until smooth.)

Add sausage, onion, chilies, corn, cheese and purple hull peas.

Pour into prepared pan and bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Cool and cut in pieces.

Serves 8 to 12

I don't know about you, but I'm headed straight to Kroger tomorrow with my shopping list!  Thanks Jenny!

Post a Comment

Picture

Picture
Herbs!

About This Blog

StatCounter

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP