"Americans used to say where there's a will, there's a way. Nowadays, it's where there's a pill, there's a way out." - - Burnt Toast

Red Gold. . .

The big payoff is here.

This is what I sweat and toil away in the garden for every spring and summer.  This is only about half of what's out there, especially for the cherry tomatoes.  I wish there was an easier way to pick those little devils, like with a tiny tomato vacuum cleaner or something.  There are still a jillion and one of them left and I just flat wore out.

Gardening is good.  So good.

Greasywrench AKA rich b  – (Friday, July 2, 2010 at 12:57:00 AM CST)  

Beautiful little devils Toast. I'm gonna get a garden going up at my Mother-In-Law's house in a couple of weeks. It's time for some beans, squash, and tomatoes. I might even try some melons. I Can't wait to get started. The problem is varmints. She's got possums, raccoons, and skunks up there and I don't know how (and if) I should have to deal with them. Time to get cracking on the web for some advice. I'm open to any comments you might add.

Burnt Toast  – (Friday, July 2, 2010 at 1:27:00 PM CST)  

Thanks Rich, I've been working pretty hard at it this year, the best garden yet I think.

As far as those varmints are concerned, might I suggest a .22 magnum rifle, that's enough for any pesky varmints! I say that in jest because I don't kill things, I just plant enough to make sure I can share with the rabbits and coons.

Honestly, even though I live out in the sticks, I've had very few problems with any of those. The only thing I might suggest is fencing, but that is only likely to keep the skunks and possums out. Raccoons will simply climb over and have a feast. I guess another solution might be baiting them away like I do with my bird feeders. A little cracked corn and sunflower seeds go a long way to satisfying the raccoons.

Greasywrench AKA rich b  – (Friday, July 2, 2010 at 3:54:00 PM CST)  

The baiting idea sounds good to me. Hell, if they weren't so damn expensive I might even splurge and buy some supermarket tomatoes and let em eat those. The damn things are (depending on the type) up to over three dollars a pound right now. No one seems to be to crazy about the taste of market toms anyway. You gotta remember I don't eat tomatoes. And at the rate I'm losing teeth I might be back to baby food pretty soon.

My Mother-In-Law has a lot more room than my balcony and I've got a few more options as to what I'm gonna grow. And I'm really serious about the melons. My wife came home from Vons the other day with the shittiest cantelopes I've ever had. They were hard, bitter, and damn near inedible. Anyway I'm get it going soon and post the evidence. Talk to you later buddy.

Post a Comment

Picture

Picture
Herbs!

About This Blog

StatCounter

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP