"Americans used to say where there's a will, there's a way. Nowadays, it's where there's a pill, there's a way out." - - Burnt Toast

On The Road Again. . .

This morning I am following the pimento cheese truck up Highway 49 to the sprawling metropolis of Tchula, pronounced chew-la for you non-Mississippians, and I am sure all of you are wondering the obvious -- what's there?




The short answer is: nothing. The long answer is: 1.4 square miles of nothing.

As with most tiny Delta towns, Tchula's main industry back in the day would have been cotton. But today, I would imagine that the cotton gin has long been closed. I vaugely remember a sawmill I saw back in the early 80's when we traveled to Tchula for dove hunting, but even then I remember that not much was going on in the town.

On the brighter side, a new Dollar General store is being constructed nearby and that is my destination. Dollar General is a bit of a misnomer because there is very little for sale inside for a buck, except for this monkey. .




His name is Abraham and he keeps me company on these long, lonely trips to small towns that time has forgotten.

So, come on and go with me to Tchula. If Dollar General is willing to build a store in a town of 2300 people, then something must be happening there.


- Sent from my iPhone

FAIRY –   – (Thursday, December 23, 2010 at 10:47:00 AM CST)  

Abraham keep him safe! :) What about the travel lizzard?

Anonymous –   – (Thursday, December 23, 2010 at 12:59:00 PM CST)  

...and would that have been the same dove hunt in which you shot a deaf boy?

Post a Comment

Picture

Picture
Herbs!

About This Blog

StatCounter

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP