"Americans used to say where there's a will, there's a way. Nowadays, it's where there's a pill, there's a way out." - - Burnt Toast

Gun Control. . .

. . .means using both hands.

Yeah, it's one of the oldest jokes, but nothing could be more appropriate in describing the Smith & Wesson 329PD Alaska Backpacker chambered in .44 magnum.



The first thing that is noticable about the gun is its weight or sheer lack thereof.  Weighing in around 27 ounces makes this gun extremely light for such a large caliber.  This is due in large part to the Scandium alloy frame. Ultimately, a small price will be paid in recoil during firing, but this gun was designed to be a light and powerful close range weapon for protection against angry bears or hungry mountain lions or agitated crack heads.


The stainless steel cylinder and barrel insert add a nice two-tone contrast to the elegant but brutish look of the revolver and the Houge custom rubber grip will surely improve control during the fierce recoil of heavy .44 magnum loads.


I have not had a chance to shoot this gun other than six shots fired into the ground for the New Year and I can say one thing if one thing only about my first impression: it is so bloody loud!  I mean LOUD!  I had some little foam earplugs that I use for work which I inserted before shooting and they managed to do the job.  However, the noise, not to mention the two foot flame that erupted from the barrel, was impressive and made things tingle on this man that only muscle cars and good-looking women can reproduce.



All in all, I am extremely satisfied with this firearm (Thank you Santa!).  It is beautifully desgined, functions well, is small enough to carry, and in a word is, meancing.

I'll report more later as I have a chance to run a box or two of shells through it.  As a matter of fact, I found an old head of cabbage in the fridge which has a Hornady 200 grain hollow point written all over it.

Post a Comment

Picture

Picture
Herbs!

About This Blog

StatCounter

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP