"Americans used to say where there's a will, there's a way. Nowadays, it's where there's a pill, there's a way out." - - Burnt Toast

Garden, Day 17. . .

Ambient Temperature: 64°
Soil Temperature: 54°
Time: 10:30 a.m.
Date: February 12, 2008

I couldn't stand it. I had to cast of the chains of illness and go have a walk around the garden.

The ant mounds I treated last week appear to be abandoned except for the giant one in the compost pile. I poked it with a stick and ants appeared, but not thousands of them as before. My chemical warfare is working.

The potatoes that Beatrice and I planted a couple of weeks ago have not come up yet, but just to make sure, I dug down and found happy little potato nuggets setting beautiful roots, so it's just a matter of time before the tops breach the good earth. The soil is still a little chilly and is prohibiting speedy growth.

In the meantime, I will have to accept the fact that the only joy I will receive from gardening right now will be watching the seeds we planted sprout up inside the house.


We planted three varieties of tomato: Brandywine, Big Boy Hybrid, and yellow Jubilee. Also, jalapeno, cucumber (burpless), white creamer peas, purple hull peas, moon and stars watermelon and last but not least, an oddity in the plant world, Lunaria annua, aka "money plant" or "Honesty." Named so, because of the flat, silvery seed pods that resemble coins.

I just caught something out of the corner of my eye and thought it was the biggest squirrel I have ever seen. Turns out it was Wildcat chasing Bobcat up a pine tree.

Now get down from there!

And you. You're a BAD kitty!!

Post a Comment

Picture

Picture
Herbs!

About This Blog

StatCounter

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP