"Americans used to say where there's a will, there's a way. Nowadays, it's where there's a pill, there's a way out." - - Burnt Toast

Garden, Day 8. . .

Ambient Temperature: 29°
Soil Temperature: 39°
Time: 5:30 a.m.
Date: February 3, 2008

Well, Puxatawny Phil, thanks for your glorious spring outlook you dirty little wombat!

The garden is coming back to life, whether it wants to or not. Someone, namely me, has the fever and it is an illness with no cure. My thumbs are already turning green after a long winter sleep.

Beatrice and I spent the weekend with an all-out assault on the weeds, brambles, scrub bushes and fire ants which took over the garden last summer. Most everything is dead, which facilitates easy removal, although the ants are alive and well. Especially the giant mound in raised bed number 7, which served as last years compost pile. WE MUST RETAKE THE COMPOST PILE!

Beatrice led the charge on the riding lawn mower, which was recently repaired for a dollar to a dime.


The damn field mice made off with half of a wiring harness that controls the ignition and fuel pump. God only knows what these mice do with the plastic coating. Maybe you can enlighten us Mr. Greasywrench on the propensity of small rodents who shred the sheathing off electrical wires.

I spent the afternoon turning dirt, folding in composted manure and lime and pulling out those dastardly weed things that the stinkbugs love so much. And I poked around in an abandonded ant bed or two ensuring that no one was home before I turned the dirt over. You really don't want to stir these ants up because they don't call them fire ants for nothing.

In bed #2, we planted a row of red potatoes, which after a week of living in the warmth of the kitchen, had sprouted eyes and were looking for a new place to call home. Bed #2 seemed like a prime candidate, so we cut the potatoes down, isolating the budding eyes, leaving behind enough potato to form a root mass and planted about a dozen of them down the middle of the row. If they survive the next couple weeks of cold weather, we should have a deluge of red taters by mid to late spring.

In other news. . .


Camp Burning Toast is much like the United Nations rotating Security Council presidency, we have a rotating parliamentary body in the form of animals. The last seat was vacated by a skinny black dog, who had apparently escaped from some form of bondage and spent about a month with us before departing into the great unknown. Friday night, I heard cats howling outside and found Black Kitty all bowed up and ready for a fight in a face off with another cat. I stepped outside assuming that my mere presence might scare away the intruding cat. Buddy, I was flat wrong.

In my lifetime, I've raised an army of cats and I know, understand, and can emulate perfectly cat behaviour, body language, calls, and let me tell you, this skinny little beast, had you heard him in the woods in the dead of night, would have scared the skin right off your body. He knew how to curl his body up into the oddest, and probably for another cat, most frightening contortions ever seen, and when I breached to doorway of the porch, he paid no attention to me. Black Kitty, who is a lover not a fighter, and who would throw himself in front of the mouth of past body president Black Puppy only for the affection of a few licks, did not know what to think of this feral animal.

I tried my best to intervene in the situation which resulted in both cats charging into the house at the same time. Black Kitty scared to death (he's a nervous cat anyway) and the new cat quite comfortable in his new surroundings. So, I guess we have a new cat and of course he has the curse of big furry cat balls leading me to predict a trip to the vet in the near future.

Everyone? Meet Wildcat.


He's not too fond of the other cats obviously, but he's a juvenile and removal of his manhood should reduce the incidences of cat on cat violence. In the meantime, Black Kitty will just have to toughen up and Bobcat, well she has razor blades for claws and knows how to use them.

Anyway, I like my new kitty. He's got spunk, ain't afraid of shit, including the lawn mower, and well, just seems like my kinda guy.

Might have to stock up on Heineken though.

Greasywrench AKA rich b  – (Tuesday, February 3, 2009 at 3:34:00 PM CST)  

What up Toast? I've seen the damage that rodents can do under the hood of cars that have been stored. They chew on damn near anything. The reason is: if they didn't their teeth would grow to unmanageable sizes. Rats and mice are in the Rodentia family. I think it means curved teeth, hence the name.

I once stored my 67 RS Camaro for a couple of years at my friend Ciro's place and his Pit-Bulls ate all of my spark plug wires. I still don't know what those fucking dogs were after in a bunch of rubberized wires. Shouldn't have left the hood open I guess.

Cudi Bug  – (Tuesday, February 3, 2009 at 3:50:00 PM CST)  

Wildcat looks a lot like Tiger Kitty except for the white face blaze.....maybe they could box a round or two. Tiger Kitty still has his balls and licks them too!! It must be the weekend for new cats, since Darell got me a new one this past Saturday also....but he's big and mounted on the wall sittin' on a log...you gotta come see him, Tiger has been nervous every since he arrived.

Unknown  – (Tuesday, February 3, 2009 at 4:16:00 PM CST)  

Thanks for some great laughs - about an hour ago I just randomly followed a link to your blog from LGF, and have been thoroughly enjoying it since. As a cat(s) and dog owner (albeit in an unfortunately urban setting), I was practically on the floor laughing.
Cheers, and please do keep up the blogging!

Post a Comment

Picture

Picture
Herbs!

About This Blog

StatCounter

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP