"Americans used to say where there's a will, there's a way. Nowadays, it's where there's a pill, there's a way out." - - Burnt Toast

Tomatillo Time?

What are the odds that on a sun-baked ghetto jobsite that there would be wild tomatillo plants growing in the soil?




I suppose they could have been deposited by birds, but I think a more likely explanation would be from leftover lunches of the Latino crew members of the demolition crew that preceded our work. Someone's salsa verde was dumped on the ground and through the miracle of life and germination, boom! Life!




Tomatillos are part of the nightshade family, along with its more well-know cousin, tomato. Sometimes called Mexican tomato or green tomato, tomatillos are a staple in Mexican cuisine. Strikingly different in that they are covered in a paper husk and a flavor best described as tart.

Just so strange to see such a plant growing out here where no one knows it's name, much less the variety of uses for the fruit.

I think I am going to dig them up and transplant them to friendlier grounds, like my garden, where I will fully appreciate this oddity of the nightshade family.

- Sent from my iPhone

Greasywrench AKA rich b  – (Tuesday, August 3, 2010 at 2:17:00 PM CST)  

I'm smelling me some Chile Verde and corn tortillas as I type. Too bad I won't be able to eat any for a couple of months. Gotta heal - but I can dream. My favorite food out of all Mexican cuisine is Chile Verde and and a nice Mole with chicken. Dammit! Come on stomach, get fucking well! Ulcers SUCK!

Post a Comment

Picture

Picture
Herbs!

About This Blog

StatCounter

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP